Keyboard shortcuts

As requested in A bunch of design editor suggestions we need to add more keyboard shortcuts. I’ll also take the opportunity to list already implemented ones and those we need to add. This will help to create documentation for them.

Already Implemented shortcuts

• Del / Backspace - To delete layers
  • Shift + Mouse click - Select/Deselect multiple layers
  • Alt + Mouse click and drag - Duplicate layer(s)
  • Cmd/Ctrl + s - Force save (Baseline autosaves after every action as well)
  • Arrow Keys - Move selected layers 1px in direction
  • Shift + Arrow keys - Move selected layers 10px in direction

Missing Shortcuts

• CMD/Ctrl + [ / ] - Move layer backward, forward
  • CMD/Ctrl + X/C/V - Cut Copy Paste
  • “+” - Zoom in
  • “-” - Zoom out
  • Shift + 0 - Zoom 100
  • Shift + 1 - Zoom to fit
  • Shift + 2 - Zoom to selection
  • Cmd/Ctrl + A - Select all
  • Esc - Deselect all
  • Shift key while rotating to constrain rotation by 15° angles.
  • Shift key, while moving to constrain movement on the X and Y axis.

Please suggest more shortcuts in the comments below

Great suggestions! I’m really excited for this to get implemented :star_struck:

Only three more come to my mind right now:

ctrl/cmd + g - group elements
ctrl/cmd + shift + g - ungroup elements
ctrl/cmd + click on overlaping elements - Select element behing

Thanks for a quick reply and taking my previous suggestions into consideration! :green_heart:

1 Like

@gilli It would be nice to have a feature that would allow us to Assign and Rename our own Shortcut Keys. As individual may already be use to with their own favourite apps, CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Inkscape etc.

1 Like

Yeah that’s an excellent idea. And if we want to take it even further, we could offer presets based on common design tools.

2 Likes

Shift key while dragging to constrain movement by 45° angles.

2 Likes

Good suggestion, I added it to the list, but changed it to 15° increments.

1 Like

OK. I think all most people care about is maintaining 90° horizontal or vertical alignment between objects while you position them however.

1 Like

Ah, you mean to snap it to match other objects on the X and Y axis?

1 Like

Yes — to position one element in alignment with another element, then move it sideways or vertically, maintaining that alignment. Using the shift key for this is a universal tool in layout and illustration programs.

1 Like

Ah okay, I thought you meant when rotating. We have a separate wishlist item for what you mentioned here, since it’s a bigger task: Design Editor: Layer snapping

1 Like

Thank you. I like snapping and auto-alignment. But constraining the direction of travel while holding the Shift key is something different.
As the designer, I want to decide the alignment point, and then keep that alignment as I move it.
This is a feature that began with the first version of the first Pagemaker and Adobe Illustrator, and is common across all design apps ever since.

1 Like

Ah yes, now I know exactly what you are talking about. Sorry I misunderstood before. These are actually three different things we’ve been talking about. I’ll add this to the list

1 Like